Wednesday, October 1, 2008

China - Day 5

Alright, well, I'm writing this on the sixth day we have been in China, as I did not have any time to write this on the fifth day. In any case, I'm going to post write about our sixth day right after I post this, and since we really did not do anything yesterday, this post will be pretty short.

As far as I can remember, the girls went out to get some dresses, while we (the guys) went around on electric scooters in the area. I don't really know much of what happened to the girls, except that they could not get the dresses they wanted tailored, so they ended up getting cloaks at that place, and are going on Friday to try and get their dresses made. I think I'm going to tag along on that day. not to get a dress, of course, but see about getting a suit. Anyway, that's not for a little bit.

Alright, so, quickly, what did we do? Just so you know, my mom and dad, as well as myself, are staying in a rented house. My little siblings are staying at the Huang's house. Anyway, we moved around a little bit, so that is the current situation.

First, we went out to a scooter repair shop to fix a few things on the scooters. Driving in China is really fun and really scary/dangerous. I thought that watching for scooters in the night markets kept me on my toes, but that is really nothing compared to driving on the road here. While driving on the road, your constantly looking behind you to see if there is a car about to kill you, you have to watch for potholes in the ground, people walking along the side of the road, other bikes that you need to pass because they are going slower than you, and cars that are coming the oppisite direction as they may try and pass a car in their lane and cross into yours... See, in China, triffic rules are more like sugestions. You have people driving all over the place. There is also the village driving though. Driving in a village is really more daunting than on the open road. You've got people all over the place. They are going to cross the "road" when ever they want, and you have to be ready to break, or swerve to miss them. Trucks and cars will pull out into the "road" when ever they want, so you've got to look for them. The reason I am using parenthesis around "road" is because in the villages the road is more of a sidewalk type of thing. Not that it look like a sidewalk, or is the same size as a sidewalk, but it is treated like a sidewalk. There are not lines on the road, there is no sense of triffic goes this way on this side, and that way on the other. People kinda make up their own side to drive on and do that... It's really pretty fun!

So, after getting the bikes repaired (nothing major, just getting some new stuff that had broken off the bikes) we went to lunch. We drove to a mall and had some fried rice in a Korean Japanese restaurant. After that we met with a professor of economics to talk a little bit because Jonathan wants to come over to China to study for his MBA. Anyway, that took a bit, and then we went back home.

The day was not filled with much, but it was pretty fun. So, now I am going to write about what we did today.
-Aaron

6 comments:

Kathryn Rachelle said...

Traffic laws are merely suggestions in China? So, there are no traffic tickets, right?

After your driving experiences in China, which sound hair-raising, you could design and develop a video game. "Scooter Survivers". It could be a combination travel guide and road obstacle game, all very educational, of course! : )

~LEMONDROPS said...

Wow. I loved reading about the driving conditions. You describe it well, Aaron - I can see it in my mind. I bet you were wishing you had the big white Rutledge bus to barrel down those "roads" with, yes? Traffic rules are more like suggestions. I like that. ;)

Kathryn Rachelle said...

hmm....on second thought, I meant you could design and develop a video game, it's fathomable. I mean, it was just an idea. You could call it anything you like. You are entitled to your own ideas, of course! K. : )

Aaron said...

Nope, there are traffice tickets, but the police will not hold you to the laws...and you always look both ways before you break the "law" :)
That would be an interesting game... I don't know, I can't design games though, or program them anyway.
I'm going to have to get some specific examples of driving around. I just don't remmeber those things very well, they are there and than gone.
Yes Mrs. Rutledge, I know you would love to have more bendy traffic laws Mrs. Rutledge :)

~LEMONDROPS said...

heh heh heh
I'll never forget you telling somebody, actually, I think it was me, that I drive that bus like it was a sports car and that it just wasn't right.

pinklilypad said...

Aunt Donna and Uncle Tucker are in LaGrange, GA visiting Jon, Laura, Clay and Louise. Jon just returned about a hour ago from his 777 trip to Shanghai. You will have to compare China stories sometime! Thanks for keeping us posted!