Sunday, October 5, 2008

China - Day 10

Chris here. Here it is Day 10, and I haven't even made my first post. Since I sent Aaron to bed, it's time to fix that!

We had another full day on our China adventure, starting at 9:00 am with a 30 minute trip in our host family's minivan with 13 of us jammed in! They dropped us off at the CTS Hotel for the Baptist church service, our first time. The service was for foreign passport holders only to conform to Chinese law. The teaching by Pastor Joe was refreshing, inpiring, and challenging. And I got to jump in on my oboe for the hymns, my first China church "gig". What a joy it was to worship together.

We had been invited by a visiting professor, and got to meet his wonderful family afterward over Domino's Pizza (I know, what are we doing eating pizza in Beijing with all the Peking ducks running around, but what can I say, it was good!). We spent the afternoon at their Beijing apartment in sweet fellowship, playing ping pong, petting their rabbits, getting hair braided (well, Katherine did), building Lego spaceships, discussing family life, options to college, politics, world affairs, and more.

After a peaceful family dinner, several of their very capable children (able to order Chinese takeout in Chinese after only a year in Beijing!) joined us on a subway trip to the China Conservatory of Music, where we heard a rousing concert of four Bach piano concertos with four beautiful brand new Steinway pianos on stage in the inaugural concert for their brand new concert hall, also celebrating a new partnership with an Austrian music conservatory. The baroque-style string accompaniment was spirited, and the various piano soloists virtuosic!

Another short taxi ride (in 3 separate taxis) got us back to the subway, where we rode to the end of the line and grabbed a "hei che" (lit. black car, AKA unregistered taxi) back to our house in the Beijing 'burbs. We got back around 11:00 pm.

Like I said, another adventurous full day in China!

1 comment:

~LEMONDROPS said...

Chris! It's nice to see you on here, too. I've really been enjoying Aaron's posts. It sounds like your family is having a wonderful time. What a blessing!

I still remember when you and Aimay played together at a tournament - was it Biola? It would be nice to hear that again.

Is the subway in China crowded and crazy? My brother lives in Japan and he sent our family videos once of the commuter trains in Japan. They were wildly crowded. At each stop there were uniformed people there to push in the people's backsides, arms and any legs hanging out of the doorways.

Keep posting! The girls and I love reading and learning about everything your family is doing.
Please tell your wife that I miss talking with her.