Friday, October 3, 2008

Food - The Night Market

Well, I've got some extra time on the computer today (we haven't done so far, but I think we are going to dinner later on). So, I thought I would continue the food posts. This one is on the night market food. So, beware, some of these things are pretty disgusting...No, I did not eat all of the stuff shown, infact, I did not eat a lot of the stuff shown. But whatever, I have still eaten, or at least tried, everthing that we have gotten or ordered.

Just a little bit of info on the night markets. I think I've talked about them a bit in my Taiwan posts, but I'll say it again quickly. So, the night market is a a particular part of town that has little shops, almost comparable to lemonade stands, lining the streets. Each shop normally has it's own specialty of some sort, but there are many repeats as far as food choice goes. It is very noisy. You have hundreds of people talking, you have shop keepers yelling at you to get them to eat at their stand, and you have scooters going around through the crowd. Depending on where you are, the smell changes accordingly... You have the smells of duck, chicken, beef, lamb, and all sorts of meat. You have the sweet smell of cho dofu (translated, stinky bean curd) in some places.... Oh, wow, that stuff smell horrible, much like the smell when you pass a steer farm on the road. That is one of the foods we did not eat or try. We do have some sort of brains. There were fresh fruit stands around. You could get whole fruits, or have them blended in a juice. The fresh juices were one of our favorite things we had in the night market.

So, the next bit will be some of the interesting foods. There are more on the album online.


Dan Bing. That basically means onion cake. These are one of my dad's favorite things to get. They are really good.
From Night Market food



Fresh fruit. the 30 Taiwan dollars is a little less than one US dollar.
From Night Market food



A not so foriegner friendly stand. You can guess what is on this stand. Let me just say that there is a chicken on that table...try and find it.
From Night Market food



Yep, you are supposed to eat those... Nope, we did not get a squid on a stick, so I did not have to try it, and I'm glad for that
From Night Market food



Things on sticks...
From Night Market food



This cake like thing was really good. They had all sorts of shapes there.
From Night Market food


There are other photos on the album. Some of them are pretty wonderful to look at...

1 comment:

~LEMONDROPS said...

Those onion cakes look good. One of our students from Taiwan made us onion cakes like that, but she would make them smaller - about the size of a small pancake. We loved them.