Thursday, October 2, 2008

China - Day 7

Day seven, it's been a week since we got to Beijing! Well, I must say, this week has been much more spaced out than our week in Taipei. It's been nice to relax a little bit. May I remind you of the woes of touring? So, one week down, three or so to go! Then Hong Kong. It's certainly been awesome so far. OK, what did we do today?

Today was another of those more relaxing days. We went out into the city again today. Myself, my dad, Danny, and some other friends went to the aquarium for a little school project that the other boys had to do. My mom, sister, and here little group went off to see about getting some dresses again...

The aquarium was pretty fun. It is nothing compared to the Monterrey Bay Aquarium in a strictly largeness contest. This aquarium was really pretty small. It did have some nice exhibits though. The one crowning jewel was a very long walk through tank. I'm sure you've seen or have been in one of those tanks that has a tunnel through it, so that you can see the fish from underneath. Well, this was like that, but it had, basically, a baggage claim belt under it. So, instead of just one straight shot, this thing did a big look in the tank. It was really cool. Certainly the best through the fish tank exhibits I've been to. After that, we can home, ate dinner, and watched a Kent Hovind debate...that was fun.

As for the girls, they finally got their dresses ordered. So, they have been looking for three days for some tailor that will make a custom dress for them. The first day I was with them, and the place we went to did not have any tailors, it was not that kind of shopping center. The next day they found a tailor who did men's stuff, but not women's. That tailor did do some women's cloaks and things, so that is when they ordered their cloaks. Today, they finally found a tailor that could make there dresses. They were going to pay somewhere around 1,000 yuan for each dress. about 140 dollars each. So, they went to another place, and ended up being able to get them for under 100 each. I think the figure is around 80 or something... For a custom dress, I guess that is not bad. All or the girls, especially Katherine is very happy that the dresses are ordered.

That was about our day. Tomorrow we are going to go to the Great Wall again. This time we are going to a "wild" part of the wall though. These are the parts that are not kept up as much, so the wall will be crumbling a little more here. So, I hope to take some good pictures. I didn't have the camera today...but I'll have it tomorrow.
-Aaron

2 comments:

~LEMONDROPS said...

Having never owned a custom dress, I have no idea what is reasonable. It sounds very special, though, and I'm sure Katherine will love it.
So, all the way in China and you can't keep away from debate . . .
India is turning out to be an interesting topic. I'm really enjoying all that I'm learning about it and how many things are going on that relate to India. Of course, we will have that pesky topicality argument as a popular one for many cases, I'm afraid. That can get boring after a while unless it's done exceptionally well. If one kept only to cases that directly dealt with foreign policy to India it would also get boring. But overall I'm enjoying debate class. For a class of all first year debaters, I think they are doing well.
I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures from day 8's visit to the Great Wall. You've got a good eye for nice pictures. Everyone here (well, almost - basically me, Annabelle, and December) thinks the last batch were very pretty.

Aaron said...

Oh, yes, she will love it.
Of course I can't keep aways from debating! I didn't really debate though, it was fun making fun of the evolutionists arguments though...
I actually haven't done much of anything with regard to our debate topic. I don't really know much of anything about India still. Yes, topocality will be a big issue this year... Pretty annoying.
Thanks! I don't know how good my pictures are, but I'm glad you are enjoying them.