Friday, September 26, 2008

China - Day 1

Here is our first full day in China. We didn't really do anything, and, as such, I didn't take any pictures... The neighborhood that we are staying in is not anything like what you might expect from China. It really looks like a typical suburb in America, save for the walls in front of all the houses, and the not so American looking houses. The air is really fresh (we are a little distance out of Beijing, so we don't have to deal with any of the air pollution there). Today was just beautiful! The weather is outstanding compared to Taipei, that is for sure. The weather is what you expect from California really. It was about 70 degrees today, the weather was clear, and you were able to see the blue sky. I've been told that normally the upper atmosphere clouds normally hide the sky a bit, but today it was clear. There is also no humidity to speak of! So, compared to Taiwan, the weather is simply amazing.

We met another American here that is helping teach English to younger kids, maybe 3-5 year olds. I went over to help him play with the kids during their free time. It was just some more time with quite Asian kids... Some of the kids just had a habit of crying, and because of that, their eyes were all red. This was just a few of them out of the 20 or so kids there. Anyway, it was fun just playing with the kids. They all only speak Chinese, and I only speak English, so communication is not really something we can do but the kids just want you to play with them.

For dinner, we went out to a duck restaurant. They had other things than duck there, but duck was their specialty. So, we had onion cakes, duck with plum sauce and little tortilla things, duck soup, and this almost stuffing like mix (minus any croutons) made out of the "rest of the duck" I didn't ask what that meant. It was all good.

Tomorrow we are going to the Great Wall, so I'll have plenty of pictures. It is also Katherine's birthday! So I think we have something planned for her at dinner time. I'm sure more things will develop soon. So, stay tuned in!
-Aaron

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATHERINE!!!

Wow having a birthday in CHINA! =)
Hope it's terrific!

~LEMONDROPS said...

Happy to hear you have pretty skies and nice weather. I'm anticipating those photos of the Great Wall. One of my favorite pictures in the world is one of the Great Wall by a photographer named Lisa Kristine whose work I admire.
The duck restaurant sounded good. You made my mouth water for duck, Aaron.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KATHERINE!

Anonymous said...

hi Katherine,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

I saw all your pictures and it makes me want to go to China,and Taiwan again!

write soon (the letter)

your penpal,
Christina Yang